Sunday, June 30, 2013

Transparency

When it comes to communication in family and marriage, transparency is a key part.  When I think of transparency I think of clear, honest, see-through, and straightforward.  Many people think that to be transparent is to be vulnerable, even weak.  Others may think that the other person should be able to "read their mind" without them saying anything.  The reason transparency is so great in relationships is because it prevents many misunderstandings.  It is a form of communication that gets rid of any incorrect assumptions and stops future conflict.  When you are transparent in you feelings and thoughts, it creates an honest, open communication.  To say what you feel, is more liberating than vulnerable.
What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. This is a great observation. I have found myself struggling with this both in the family and in work relationships. I think there is a close relationship between transparency and trust. One of Steven Covey's sons wrote a book called "The Speed of Trust." I like his observations on the importance of trust in our relationships. Transparency is definitely easier when we have a trust relationship. I think the opposite is also true. Transparency helps build trust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle a lot with this concept and communicating with my adult children. There may be things I may never be entitled to know about their personal lives, but when I can see from all outward signs that they are not progressing in the direction I "think" they want to go, I get very confused. They do not offer conversation about their well being which I as a parent am very concerned about. I guess the most important thing for me to do is build that trust which is so important in our conversations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, transparency is so important in building relationships. I think to build those relationships you need to be transparent. For example be honest about what you seek to know about your children, which then allows them to see how they can be more transparent.
      I think it would be good to look up ways to promote transparency, or I bet it's in my notes from class somewhere.

      Delete